Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

One Woman's Cheese Keeper is Another Woman's Jewelry Holder

For my birthday in August, my mother in law bought me a lovely cheese keeper that I spotted at the flea market. I ooooh-ed and ahhhhh-ed over it, but didn't buy it, and she went back and got it for me on the sly. Ain't that sweet?

As pretty as it is though, I had no idea what to do with it. It dates to the 1800s, and I'm sure it was a very practical way of storing cheese in those days. In the year 2011, I just put it in a drawer in the fridge. I didn't want to tuck it away only to be brought out for special occasions, as it is really just too lovely. So, I left it on the kitchen counter and thought about it for about a month.

In that time, I came up with a new and practical use for this purty cheese keeper. Any of you who happen to have a cheese keeper around the homestead or spy one out on a thrifty scouting can be just like me and use it as a place to hold the jewelry you take off at night before bed. I don't like sleeping with my wedding rings on, or any other jewelry on for that matter. Except the toe ring. I have had this toe ring on since I was 16 and took a trip to Puerto Rico, and I don't really ever take it off. Anyway, who cares?That's not the point. Aside from the toe ring, while I slumber, my most lovely and prized jewelry will rest on my night stand....in the cheese keeper.

Does anyone else have any totally unpractical possessions that they apply to practical uses so they won't feel like they belong on the show Hoarders?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping at Farmhouse Garden! I love to hear from you...