Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Roadside Botany- Spring Spectacular

This evening I took a walk around the yard and neighborhood with the fam documenting the latest stage of the spectacular spring bloom we have enjoyed in this most beautiful place in which we live.

I have never seen so many trilliums in one place. In fact, I can't imagine that there is a place where there is a higher concentration of this lovely flower than what I saw on our street today. They were mostly white and light pink, but I also spotted some delicate burgundy flowers.












This property down the street from our house is carpeted in trillium flowers. Literally. 



 We also have azaleas beginning to show and spotted scores of fiddle head ferns, wild strawberries, and other dainty blooms unfamiliar to me.




 Then, as we were headed back up to the house, I spotted these purple flowers over near the fire pit my husband has been working on. Pardon the blurry pics- it was getting dark.


It looked orchid-like to me, so I promptly came inside and browsed some photos on the NC Native Plants Society website, and lo and behold, it is in fact a Showy Orchis!

Shucks, y'all. I just can't even find the words to describe how much I love it here and how perfect the mountains of North Carolina are! I can't wait to see what beauty is in store for us as the season progresses! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping at Farmhouse Garden! I love to hear from you...