Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Funny Little Sewing Projects (Repost with links and actual formatting!)

By now, any of you who have read about my other sewing projects know that I am a little less than practical. Perhaps you may have also realized that I have my own eccentric tastes, and I wouldn't know current fashion if I hit it with my car and got out to inspect the damage. 


Crash!
Concerned Husband: Oh my gosh! Are you okay? What did you hit? 
Me: Oh no! I don't know! I'm fine. Let me get out and take a look. [A minute later] Honey...could you come here? What on Earth is this? I've never seen anything like it before! I just don't know. Something seems vaguely familiar about it, but I can't place it for the life of me! 
Concerned Husband: Oh sweetie- that's current fashion! You know, the year 2011? You silly little thing. 
Me: You don't say...well, who knew!

Today I will nail those impressions of impracticality and eccentricity home by showing you photos of the cape I made. It's a rain cape. I finally came to realize that the trench I started as part of Gertie's Lady Grey Sew Along was never going to happen. When I started sewing it I weighed close to 15 lbs more than I do now, and I had started a size and a half large. Plus, the iron on interfacing was all bubbly. Plus, I just didn't want to sew it anymore. So, the UFO that had literally been hovering over my sewing area for months (I thought putting it on a hanger where I could see it would motivate me to finish it) was hacked to bits and became a very necessary spring cape.
Photo courtesy of the Vintage Pattern Wiki



The dog ate my pattern instructions.
Okay, okay, I don't have a dog.  I just didn't follow them.
 I added pearl beads and a hook and eye instead
Even the welt arm slits are so necessary. Without them, I would have to reach through the front opening, or even under the cape, as I am pictured doing here. Can you imagine the hardship?




I used the directions from the Threads tutorial, and I am starting to get the hang of the hook and eye. They could be neater, but holy cannoli, you should have seen the rat's nests I was sewing on my garments before! You could either hook the eye, or hook the tangle of threads- your choice! I think next time I sew these on something with a facing, they will look pretty neat (I can hide the knots). 
Yaaay! So that's my cape. I am sure to get lots of stares wearing it around my small, southern town, population 8. 

On to the next thing. I have a cute apron that my mother in law gave me from Grandma's pretty vintage linens. I love it, but it is a little bit delicate, and I didn't want to trash it. Yes, I do use aprons when I cook and clean. I have had enough little grease spots on my clothing to last a lifetime, and I especially don't want to risk stains on my home sewn clothing. So, I made a pattern from Grandma's apron, and I sewed a sturdy version. 
Everything old is new again...

The scalloped hem was a bitch to notch, turn, and press, but it was worth it!
 Cute! (If I do say so myself)
The apron has a pretty little top that folds over and kind of frames the bow. And I used a fishing lure fabric that I have had in my stash for 5 years! Points! I have a crazy friend- when I asked her what she wanted for her birthday (5 YEARS AGO- POINTS!) she told me she wanted an apron with fishing lures on it. Figures. Do you know what a pain it is to find something like that? So, I made it with my (future) MIL, and now I have made another. Fun, fun. 

Well, that's it for now. I am working on a dress for Gremel-Lynn to wear for Easter. She has popped a tooth and is truly living up to her nickname, growling and grumbling, and keeping us up all hours of the night. As the Paul Simon song says, "that was your mother, and that was your father before you was born, dude. When life was great. You are the burden of my generation. I sure do love you, let's get that straight!" Now, I'm off to wake the little bunny from her nap so she doesn't party all night again! 

4 comments:

  1. I'm very guilty of the so-called rat's nests when I do hook and eyes. Those are amazing! I'm very jealous of your patience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, likey the Threads tutorial! Thanks! My hooks and eyes are usually a total car crash so will give this a go defo!! I was thinking of using embroidery floss too...
    Love both your makes!
    Px

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great rain cape, and I love the apron. The scallops are fantastic! I don't think I would have the patience to sew all those curves.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping at Farmhouse Garden! I love to hear from you...