Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Make it Better Yourself- Quickie Salad Dressing

Okay, some salad dressing is harder to make yourself- like Caesar, or ummmmm, hmmm, maybe good Ranch. But I can't make sense of purchased vinaigrette dressings, when I can make an awesome vinaigrette in a minute for pennies. Here is my quickie dressing recipe:

Get a jar with a lid. Put one part olive oil to one part cider vinegar in the jar. Add a couple cloves of garlic mashed through a press. Throw in a spoonful of good quality loose jam (I used Bonne Maman Blueberry Preserves) and a bit of your chosen sweetener (I used 1/2 tsp. of Truvia, but I also use honey and maple syrup).


  Now, put the lid on and shake it, shake, shake, shake it like a Polaroid picture.
FIN.


I love this stuff. It is soooo good, and it's easy to tailor your tastes. Sometimes I add herbs, use Balsamic vinegar and worchestire sauce, and leave out the jam. Another good variation is equal parts cider vinegar, honey, olive oil, mustard and yogurt for a quick honey mustard dressing.

I eat a lot of salad. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. How long can you store this in the fridge? Love that you used a Bonne Maman jar!! I use those all the time after they're empty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @PepperReed- That's one of my wine glasses ;) I have stored it in the fridge for a week or two. I figure, most of the ingredients are shelf stable, and the jam will stay good for a while in the fridge. The honey mustard has to be used up faster because of the yogurt. The balsamic dressing stays good for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maple syrup is cheap here in Quebec, and we always make a olive oil / apple cider vinegar / maple syrup / dijon mustard / chopped dill dressing that we put on steamed spring veggies or on smashed baby potatoes. It was whipped up for one family dinner when we were out of our usual vinaigrette ingredients, and now it's everyone's favourite!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping at Farmhouse Garden! I love to hear from you...